Last night was closing night for Spamalot, a GPLT/GPRC co-production.
I was the Make-Up/Hair Designer (it says so on the poster!) and lead, and also built the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch and the Holy Grail, as well as making costume pieces and accessorizing the Lady of the Lake. I also provide other pieces of costume to some of the Knights (when one once wore a Knight’s costume in horse shows one has stuff in the tickle trunk!)
The show has three dress rehearsals and ten performances and I was there for over five hours for each one of them. There were eight make-up/hair crew which rotated with usually five or six at each performance.
I made pox for the Not Dead Yet number out of latex – we used toupee tape for the cast to stick them on. It worked VERY well! For those with latex allergies we had red face paint and a sea sponge.
These were actually very effective – and looked quite gross from the audience!
I have hundreds left over… all ready for Halloween – smallpox anyone?
I was asked to build props on very short notice – less than a week before dress rehearsal. I used cloth mache for both the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch and the Holy Grail. The hand grenade was thrown each time and had to stay together, so I used a wooden dowel right through the structure and wired plastic mesh and foam… it held up fantastically. I can’t find a dent on it.
The Grail was a rush job as I only had four days to make it which really wasn’t enough time to make it pretty, but it did the job.
I made headpieces for the Lady of the Lake – she had no accessories or jewellery with the costumes that she was given so I got creative. I built crowns using pipe cleaners, ribbon, wire, beads, shells, etc. She had seven costumes and I had different accessories for each (one of the costumes I provided – the first greek goddess one, and one was her own old grad dress – the royal blue with spaghetti straps.) I raided my jewellery stash and outfitted her with my personal items, and created a bustle for one dress and arm drapes for another.
Here are some close-ups to show detail on the five crowns I made for the show:
Two headpieces were things I had on-hand – the beaded fringed cap I had bought in Paris years ago and the other was a simple beaded headband that matched the robe.
Here are King Arthur and the Lady of the Lake.
The blushing brides – Lady of the Lake and Prince Herbert.
And these are all taken during the performances:
We all received a framed image with our role in the production on it which is pretty nice. The little Polaroid is when “I” found the grail and won the “Arthur” award as Best Peasant in Grande Prairie… long story… LOL. In the group photo I am below the ‘n’ in Finland in the pink sweater.
It was a fun show and very funny! We spent a lot of time in the wings watching what we could as it was so good! Most of the crew watched it from the front at least once (some more than once.) The next big musical will be in 2019 – we do the “big ones” every two years. We all need to rest up between them!
You must be logged in to post a comment.