This is a rant.
But let me start off by stating that I like cauliflower. It is a great vegetable. But no matter what you do to cauliflower… it tastes like CAULIFLOWER!
Now… to the rant.
I am so completely done with the spin that’s put on Low Carb recipes where cauliflower has been used instead of a multitude of other ingredients. You don’t need to hide the cauliflower – be proud to use it. Make it the star!
Here are some examples of what annoys me:
- Potato Salad. Really? If there are no potatoes in the salad calling it a potato salad is WRONG! If you used cauliflower, then, by definition is is a CAULIFLOWER SALAD.
- Mashed Potatoes. See above. If you pureed cauliflower, it is pureed cauliflower no matter what else you add to it.
- Mac & Cheese. If there is no “mac” it isn’t Mac & Cheese, it is cauliflower with cheese.
- Chili Cheese Fries. When “fries” are generally made with potatoes this is misleading – using cauliflower stems instead is misleading. Interesting, but misleading.
- Bread Sticks. Um, no. Just no. Cauliflower mixed with eggs and cheese and baked is NOT BREAD! It is tasty cauliflower with cheese that you can dip in sauce.
- Cauliflower Rice. It is not rice! In this context “riced” would be a verb and the cauliflower could have been processed in a ricer, but you would then called it Riced Cauliflower. And using a vegetable as rice makes no sense and frankly, cauliflower it too strong to play nice with most dishes I would prefer rice with (if I could eat rice.)
- Cauliflower Couscous. NO. Couscous is pasta. Cauliflower can’t be pasta (in a low carb recipe.)
- Hashbrowns. See previous references to potatoes above.
- BBQ or Buffalo Wings. No actual wings. Therefore, NOT wings. Cauliflower is not developing the ability to fly. (Um, unless Monsanto is up to something new?)
I just get annoyed with all of it. Cauliflower tastes good, but it is a strong flavour and I have never had a dish where I wasn’t able to identify it as an ingredient. And recipes that tell people “and you can’t even tell” lie.