So far this semester I’ve got one drawing assignment completed, one painting in progress, and a bunch of personal projects on the go.
In Contemporary Drawing our first assignment was to do our interpretation of an antique dressform our professor brought in. It was circa 1909, well over 100 years old.
Everyone in class went in different directions with their ideas. We had to do a diptych or triptych using this prop.
My immediate thought was the metaphor of a cage keeping women from pursuing equality. Caging them within the constraints of fashion of that era – corsets, etc.
Our assignments always involve creating 10-12 thumbnail sketches of rough ideas, then doing 2-3 larger sketches – all of which we review with the professor before continuing. She provides feedback and suggestions (you can take them or go your own way, however… as she is marking this… )
My original sketches included a lot of suffrage symbols and slogans in the background but she strongly discouraged me from actually including them. So I left them out of my finished work. But I still like them.
Then I got the larger paper (approximately 22 x 14″) to do the final drawings on. All told I spent around 20 hours on the final two drawings.
I took photos as I worked on them. The day they were due I put in three hours more in class adding depth and texture (after consultation with the professor) and don’t have photos of the finished drawings that were handed in, yet.
I then added colour with watercolours.
I was going for an old book-plate look so wanted to keep the colours muted and sort of faded looking which watercolours are perfect for.
I wanted to add some shading or background colour so I took the photos of them without the colour and printed them. I played around with trying out different light sources or colours. I settled on grey and yellow washes and scrapped the idea of a directional light source based on those tests.
I painted in the washes with yellow behind and around the figures, and grey around the edges of the paper, framing them.
They needed something more, I felt, so I made a template to cover the actual drawings for protection, and then splattered a very diluted wash of the grey and yellow with a toothbrush.
After this stage I added in shadows underneath and a lot more texture and shading to the dressform and the figures in the cages.
I am pretty pleased with how they turned out and I’m excited to find out what my mark will be.
Pingback: New year, new semester, new challenges | Shannon Fennell's Blog
January 27, 2019 at 03:31
These are so excellent. It would be so fun to have a compilation run from beginning to end of each in either 5 x 7 or 8 x 10 side by side, perhaps with faded frames in the beginning to more intense but still noir quality at the end. They are simply magnificent Shannon. Let me know if you release copy or copies of these.
January 27, 2019 at 13:10
Thank you so much Judy. I definitely will!