I’m not a happy person right now.
I had a root canal back at the end of June… it was painful at the time, more than the other two root canals I had over a decade ago. The dentist gave me a script for Tylenol 3 for pain, which I used. It took a couple of weeks for the pain to go away. The hot/cold sensitivity was gone and for several weeks I was pain-free.
Then in August I started having sporadic pain in the tooth… biting was occasionally painful. I would wake up with the tooth aching – apparently I clench my teeth.
As September came and went the tooth became steadily painful and chewing was getting problematic.
I had purchased my own medical/dental coverage that was effective Sept 1, but the dental isn’t effective until Dec 1. So I was trying to tough it out until December.
Most of October I was in continual pain and started making soft food for our meals – casseroles, mashed turnips or pumpkin, mashed potatoes and sausage, hash browns…
But… last Wednesday I realized that my gum was very swollen around the tooth, particularly on the front – this is my back bottom left molar. In order to get a look at it I got a tiny flashlight and stuck my finger in my cheek to pull it away from the gum and angle the flashlight so I could see it. As I pulled my cheek out… the swelling burst… YUCK!
Crap crap crap…. hot salt water rinse… repeat.
First thing Thursday morning I phoned my dentist and they fit me in right away. So I headed over. He gave me a prescription for Amoxicillin and wanted to send me to Edmonton for a consult on the root canal – there were only two roots and most people have three and he thought he may have missed one. At the time he did it he really looked for a third, even consulted text books.
Seeing as I don’t have dental coverage at the moment I declined going for consult and asked why not just pull it? He said to get the antibiotics and go back to see him again today.
So today I woke up in the worst pain yet.. earache and sinus pain as well as the tooth being so painful I can’t close my jaw…
Saw the dentist this afternoon… the swelling is more than it was and still icky. He gave me a prescription for a different antibiotic, metronidazole, and additional amoxicillin… and if I can’t hold on until December he will extract it in pieces… fun. The reason to wait is for the infection to clear up as freezing may not take with the abscess…
I am not into having a tooth pulled without being chemically numbed.
I already had an appointment for Dec for a cleaning and checkup so we added on the extraction to that appointment… if I can last that long.